Visit our farm site!



http://graswerka.wordpress.com/

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Guilty Pleasures?

ooh that sounds naughty doesn't it :)
We had a hard freeze last night and will have another tonight. Bye-bye garden. I am feeling a bit guilty about this but this is one death in the family which I am happy about. It is a signal to slow things down, another item off my list. No more feeling bad about the 5lb cukes lurking under the vines or the green zuchinni canoes. I can grow the stuff but I am not so good about using it. The rest of my family does not enjoy vegetables. I am also embarrassed to say I have still not learned how to can- i dry and freeze and do refrigerator pickles but there was so much waste in the garden. Even pigs will not eat overgrown summer squash or cukes! I think next year I will plant more herbs and less unpopular veggies. I will stick to early tomatoes (no more than 5 plants!), carrots, beets, beans, greens and sweet corn. Now to deal with the 60 lbs of onions drying in the garage, the 2 shopping bags of semi-ripe tomatoes and 10lbs biggish cukes! The carrots, potatoes and beets can stay in the ground until I am ready for them

2 comments:

Judy T said...

I've got a bunch of overgrown pattypan squash. I split them and feed them to the chickens. They seem to think that they're the best thing since kale. I'm even contemplating storing some of the more 'mature' ones this winter. I wonder if that would work with zucchini?
I almost envy your hard freeze- my garden is still limping along.
Judy

sunflower said...

Hi,
loving your blog!
You know, if you know how to plait a child's hair you can probably plait onions but if not, just shove them into the legs of a pair of panty hose to store...easy!