Visit our farm site!



http://graswerka.wordpress.com/

Monday, March 29, 2010

I'm a BAD Blogger

Now that things are getting interesting I have not been posting very much! BAD BLOGGER! Land purchased, work commencing. I drew up a couple house floor plans and we arrived at one which was workable. Small passive solar ICF construction, very open living space. Three bedrooms, 1 3/4 bath, built on a slab so we want/need a concrete 'safe room' for tornadoes. The plan I workd out has 1150 square feet-no walk in closets or master suites here!

The idea is to really force us to pare down our 'stuff'. I have been taking steps along the way to get us to 1200 sq feet (plus garage!). Many, many trips to donate at Goodwill, getting rid of holiday decor that is not special to the family. The homemade nativity set made by great Grandpa Carl stays, the plastic, plug-in, snoring Santa and outdoor light displays are gone. I'm down to 4 boxes of christmas stuff, 1 box for Easter (mostly the kids baskets) and 3 for Halloween; but I know I can do even better than that! I also got rid of my clothing dresser last year. All my clothing fits in 1/2 (okay, okay 2/3) of our standard sized closet with organizer. The little house will be a challenge as our possessions have grown to fill the space we occupy now -about 2400sq ft -including partially finished basement and 1 car garage.

Anyway, we signed on Friday and met with the builder on Saturday. He will turn my grid paper scribbles into a real code upholding floor plan for the loan officer. They will then loan us 75% of the assessed market value. The assessment and paperwork usually takes 3 - 4 weeks during which time I will be arranging well drillers, septic system installation and the public utility to run electric from the road. When we get the go-ahead from the bank in the beginning of May I can be ready to pull the trigger -so to speak.

I also talked to the real estate broker I wish to list with and told him I would like to list May 1st. So now I (WE) have 4 weeks to pretty things up. It is certainly do-able but this will not be a house to pass a 'white glove' test. It is what it is, a decently maintained older ranch in a really sweet family neighborhood in a great school district. It is lived in, has a butt ugly kitchen, a kick-ass deck and yard, its a HOME not a showpiece. Hopefully we can price it to sell before our new mortgage kicks in!





The beautiful pictures I had in my mind of the land have faded a bit with the realities of the work in front of us. It is a 10 or 20 year marathon -not a 2 yr sprint, I continue to remind myself of that.

4 comments:

Meadowlark said...

You're a better woman than I... I did all my moving in the Marine Corps and would like to avoid any at all! But it sounds like an adventure and I wish you well.

I live in an old ranch and consider her a beautiful grand dame who is just a bit frazzled around the edges. The right person will come along who loves her as she is.

Judy T said...

Oh, this is exciting! I'm so glad things are moving ahead for you. I perfectly understand the "long haul" feeling- we're there too!
Good luck and keep us 'posted'!
Judy

Hickchick said...

Meadow -we once counted the number of times we had moved through college and the first few years of marriage I think we were at 11places over 5 years. When we moved in here it was 'for good' the last move we would make until our bodies were stiff and cold! Ha!
Thanks Judy! It is exciting but overwhelming too.

Mike "Pops" Black said...

Too many blogs are just blah blah, better fewer post about doing than hourly airball updates!

Small, ICF, passive, you got it!