Visit our farm site!



http://graswerka.wordpress.com/

Friday, May 22, 2009

Hard To Say Goodbye

It is hard to say goodbye to something which is a powerful symbol. To something which used to make me feel so good but now only stirs up feelings of guilt. But I did give it all away to a comlete stranger. I am of course talking about my treadmill, dumbells, bench and all that other stuff collecting dust in my basement.

Tom and I have hauled that stuff around through college and new jobs and young children and boy we used to be in great shape. No longer though. I kept beating myself up mentally-'shoulding' all over myself. We are getting the house ready to put on the market and it had to go. I was not going to move it again!

I also truly believe that you need to make room in your life to let something else in. So goodbye weights, hello farm (I hope). I am making room for a different kind of fitness.


5 comments:

The Old Gray Egg said...

Yup. Tradin' one treadmill for another: Treadmill = Farm chores; Dumbells = Cows; Bench press bench = Broken equipment repair bench.

I don't know, though. Those weights would have come in mighty handy to hold down the tarps covering the tomato plants on frosty nights.

Yours truly from Zone 3.

Judy T said...

Congrats on the downsize. When we closed on our new place, my hubby reminded me that we were going to embark on all that pound shedding physical labor. Ok. I've lost 7 lbs so far. I guess it's working.
Judy

Sue said...

I've got an elliptical sitting in my library reminding me every day I'm not doing what I should be doing. I think you're on to something. Maybe its time to let go!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! In a way, the giving away of the treadmill is as powerful of a symbol as having it was: it is a symbol of starting a new part of your life, the action that marks a move to a new place and stage. And I'll bet that it'll be even more rewarding :-)

Ruth Trowbridge said...

The time to fill a cup is when it is empty. You will be full before you know it. Body perfection should be a preoccupation for the young, as only they can truly master it, lol. Watching your dream come true, Ruth