Thursday, July 9, 2009
My 'chicks' and nephew Theo collecting eggs at ArkWork Farm
After a few months of feeling stuck and not being ready to commit to the big move, we have made a breakthrough. We have been going back and forth-old farm vs build new and (maybe) off the grid. I would vote for build, but we are both hearing the tick-tock of our oldest daughters biological clock. She is 11 and still very much our little girl, but we are seeing tween behaviors popping up. We are afraid if we stay in town for much longer the move to the country will become a battle. I don't want a battle, I want this to an adventure for the whole family.
Anyway today I am talking to a loan officer at the local Farm Credit Services, if she has good news for us we will talk numbers and move in dates with the farm owners. We can afford both mortgages if I continue to work as I have been. It IS a risk but right now letting this dream sit on the shelf and fade away through inactivity and frustration is the bigger risk. Money is money but my hopes and dreams...I won't put those on hold.
We have a big weekend. Finish the chicken tractor and move the hens, process bunnies, start the tanning process (Erin wants to learn how to do this!) and the girls have a horseshow on Saturday. I will also move a chair into the garden :)
Warning: Gratuitous Kid Pictures Below