Visit our farm site!



http://graswerka.wordpress.com/

Friday, February 27, 2009

Bread in the Dishwasher?

This blog allows the best AND worst of me to come out :) It was very cathartic to have a forum to shout out how I feel and I appreciate the supportive comments. I will be content with what I have, I will develop new skills. While I do not believe in GOD, I do have faith that things happen for a reason and I have the grace to accept.

Speaking of new skills...I made bread in the dishwasher yesterday! The 5 minute-no-knead that has been going around the blogs lately. Our house was to cold, it wasn't rising so put the entire bowl in the dishwasher and allowed it to start a drying cycle-made sure it wasn't getting cooked and it rose beautifully!

The compact is still going well, I did buy two pyrex 9x13 casseroles-after looking for them first at the resale shop. We have been cooking ahead on weekends but I didn't have anything to put a double batch of lasagna in. I am going to need some new work clothes, I will have to scout out a local nice as new store-Goodwill is fine for jeans but they didn't have slacks there. So the pyrex and a gift purchased for E10's birthday are the only NEW things I have purchased since christmas. it really is not a big stretch for me-I'm pretty cheap ;)

The weathermen were calling for 6-10 inches of snow last night-it looks like we received about 4, what a relief. The chicks will be very disappointed-they Had high hopes for a snow day! I have to psych myself up for another 4-6 weeks of winter. I haven't ordered any seeds yet. I will be working on a new garden plan this weekend.
Kris

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-) That title grabbed me from the start as soon as I saw it in my Reader. Bread in a dishwasher, stellar! I've never been able to get the 5 minute no-knead right, but I'll keep trying, next time with the dishwasher (that I never use for washing dishes, lol). Glad you didn't get hit too hard for the weather.... let us know about the garden plan :-)

Judy T said...

What a brilliant idea! I had never thought about the dishwasher. My house is always too cold to get bread to rise well, too. Thanks for the great tip!
Hang in there- spring is coming.
Judy

ChristyACB said...

Now that is brilliant! I haven't tried the no-knead bread yet, though I'm going to find the recipe this weekend. But I have been having trouble getting my bread to rise in my house this winter since I resolved to turning the thermostat down. I finally had to put the bread on the living room floor in front of the small electric space heater (which is what allows everyone to be a bit more comfy while the rest of the house is 59-60 degress) to get it to rise.

Dishwasher...brilliant!

It's me said...

I've contemplated using my dehydrator with the "lifty-up-extender" thingy.

Dishwasher sounds better. Give details!

Hickchick said...

Meadow-don't sweat it! sometimes I NEED a kick in the pants :)

Gina said...

I never thought of using the dishwasher for bread rising. I have all the same issues: cold house, none gas oven.

As far as dreams, the thing that is funny about them is as soon as you lay down a concrete plan something comes along and cahnges the whole darn thing. You will get your dream and I believe everything comes in time (and like you I'm not a supreme being sort of person).

The time you are giving yourself may help bring new focus to where you are now.