Visit our farm site!



http://graswerka.wordpress.com/

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Homemade Kraut

I have been trying to figure out what to do with these cabbages I brought in from the garden two weeks ago...my family (who are not big veggie eaters) was eaten several batches of cabbage soup, fried cabbage, and boiled dinner. They are on the verge of a cabbage revolt. I have these two heads sitting in my basement cold room. I have been wanting to make sauerkraut but not motivated enough to make the set-up I have seen various places on the web. My Nov/Dec issue of Countryside had a solution. Pack sterilized quart jars with shredded cabbage, add 1tsp vinegar, 1tsp salt and 1tsp sugar and cover with boiling water. Place sterilized lids and rings on jars-DO NOT TIGHTEN RINGS. Place jars in a shallow container to catch the fermentation overflow in a 60-70 degree location for 10 days. After 10 days has elapsed, remove lids, wash and re sterilize. Wipe jar tops, replace lids, hand tighten and process in a water bath for 10 minutes.









I found one medium cabbage filled 5 quart jars. I will let you know how they turn out in a few weeks. Now one more cabbage to go...

3 comments:

Judy T said...

I've never tried to make kraut. I'll be interested to see how this turns out. This one seems simpler than many other recipes I've seen. Good luck.
Judy

Ruth Trowbridge said...

i have 2 heads am getting ready to do, i have a big crock, cut the cabbage fine in the food processor, add salt and pack into crock, first time for me i will let you know how it turns out, i love cabbage, isn't it a shame how few vegetables some people eat, especially all the work that goes into growing them - peace

2 Tramps said...

Last time I tried to make kraut, I cut myself and ended up in the emergency room... But I want to try again - this time with a smaller knife - I used one large enough to be carried by a pirate! And perhaps something smaller than the beach ball size kraut cabbages I was dealing with...

Thanks for the inspiration to have another whack at it!

Tramp #2